Re: [Videolib] Results of ALA VRT's Video Surveys (PPR)

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:03:59 -0400

--------------030803060407010201000306

Thank you for your feedback, Michael. We will be sure to address what
we were able to learn about this (we asked several questions about
rights / PPR in the surveys) and suggest areas for future study when we
fill out what you've seen so far in the summary.

My initial impression is that most libraries do not purchase PPR rights
routinely because of the additional associated costs / budgetary
implications. Some purchase rights when they know they will be needed,
while others (at, say, academic institutions) may not feel this is the
libraries' responsibility.

Outside of my role as one of the investigators in this survey, I'll just
say that I know one successful model of the kind of collaboration you
mention has been Recorded Book's Film Movement series, which sells a
subscription where films are sold on a monthly basis with one-time PPR
and include promotional materials as well. This seems to be a popular
way for public libraries especially to fund the public screening of
unique films (although I don't have any personal experience with it,
I've seen several of their dvds and talked to librarians who've been
happy with it). Their URL, for those who may be unfamiliar with FM:
http://www.recordedbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=rbfilm.home

Best,

Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Senior Assistant Librarian