RE: [Videolib] English subtitles for DVD screenings?

Blaine Waterman (bwaterman@sfpl.org)
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:34:07 -0700

We turn our subtitles ON for public screenings whenever possible. It
beats blasting everyone with sound for the sake of those with poor
hearing.

Blaine Waterman
AV Center Librarian
San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415)557-4461
bwaterman@sfpl.org

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
MichaelMay.5652831@bloglines.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:40 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] English subtitles for DVD screenings?

I'm showing Sidney Lumet's Murder on the Orient Express on DVD at my
public
library this week. Our sound system is very good but not excellent, many
of
our regular moviegoers are seniors, and Poirot's Belgian accent is a bit
thick.

Should I turn on the English subtitles to help patrons better understand
the dialogue, or would English subtitles be an unnecessary distraction?
I'm
leaning toward leaving subtitles off unless asked to turn them on.

Thanks
for any comments.

Mike in Dubuque
producers and distributors.