RE: [Videolib] English subtitles for DVD screenings?

Blane Halliday (bhalliday@collier-lib.org)
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:04:12 -0400

Mike & List,

We program a lot of films here at CCPL. The audience consists primarily of
seniors, some of whom have better hearing than others. We have capability
for closed captioning at one of our locations (which I've never used) and I
will turn on the regular subtitles (I once had a request for German!...we
get European tourists in the winter months) when requested.

I have had few complaints when they are turned on.

Blane

Blane Halliday
AV Librarian
Collier County Public Library
Naples, Florida

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
MichaelMay.5652831@bloglines.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 5:40 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] English subtitles for DVD screenings?

I'm showing Sidney Lumet's Murder on the Orient Express on DVD at my public
library this week. Our sound system is very good but not excellent, many of
our regular moviegoers are seniors, and Poirot's Belgian accent is a bit
thick.

Should I turn on the English subtitles to help patrons better understand
the dialogue, or would English subtitles be an unnecessary distraction? I'm
leaning toward leaving subtitles off unless asked to turn them on.

Thanks
for any comments.

Mike in Dubuque
distributors.