Re: [Videolib] Looking for movie recommendations to match the book "Three cups of tea"

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 13:48:11 -0700

You might consider:

"Girls Around the World" from Women Make Movies (http://www.wmm.com)
- includes a segment on a girl in Pakistan:
DON'T ASK WHY (Sabiha Sumar, Pakistan) Anousheh, a spirited and
independent-minded Pakistani teen, attempts to realize her dreams
while confronting the expectations of her religion and culture.

"Pakistan: Between the Chitralis and Pathans" from Films Media Group
(http://www.films.com) about the country and its history.

"When Children Do the Work" from The Working Group (http://
www.theworkinggroup.org), about child labor around the world,
including child carpet makers in Pakistan.

About how one person can make a difference, "Peanuts" from Bullfrog
Media, about how a film technician invented a peanut-shelling machine
for people in Mali, because they needed it.

The Frontline World series had an episode aired on May 9, 2006, about
a merry-go-round designed by Trevor Field for a children's playground
in South Africa that doubles as the community's water pump. Website:
http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/rough/2005/10/south_africa_th.html
We got the program as an extra segment on the Frontline World tape,
"Inside Hamas" (http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?
productId=2260793&cp&keywords=Inside
+Hamas&y=13&searchId=17648639483&x=10&parentPage=search)

Hope this helps.

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology