Re: [Videolib] Looking for movie recommendations to match the

Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:39:21 -0700

--=====================_103996484==.ALT

Here's an interesting possibility

Granito de arena
For more than 20 years, global economic forces have been dismantling public
education in Mexico, but always in the constant shadow of popular
resistance. This film is the story of that resistance -- of a grassroots,
non-violent movement of public schoolteachers who took Mexico by surprise
and who have endured brutal repression in their struggle to defend public
education. DVD 1: In English (narration) & Spanish (interviews), with
optional subtitles in English, English & Spanish, German or French. DVD 2:
In Spanish with no subtitles; in Portuguese (narration) & Spanish
(interviews), with Portuguese subtitles. Subject Headings Public schools --
Mexico. Written, produced, and directed by Jill Freidberg. 2005. 61 min.

available from: http://www.corrugate.org/corrugate/corrugated_films

At 12:09 PM 7/6/2007, you wrote:
>Hi! Our community just selected the book "Three Cups of Tea" by
>Mortenson and Relin as our One Book, One Community read for next spring.
>I am looking for recommendations - 2 or 3 documentaries and 2-3 features
>- that would augment the book and lead to a possible film showing at the
>library.
>Any suggestions? I've included the publisher's description below to give
>you an idea of the book's content.
>
>"One man's campaign to build schools in the most dangerous, remote, and
>anti-American reaches of Asia: in 1993 Greg Mortenson was an American
>mountain-climbing bum wandering emaciated and lost through Pakistan's
>Karakoram. After he was taken in and nursed back to health by the people
>of a Pakistani village, he promised to return one day and build them a
>school. From that rash, earnest promise grew one of the most incredible
>humanitarian campaigns of our time-- Mortenson's one-man mission to
>counteract extremism by building schools, especially for girls, throughout
>the breeding ground of the Taliban. In a region where Americans are often
>feared and hated, he has survived kidnapping, death threats, and wrenching
>separations from his wife and children. But his success speaks for
>itself-- at last count, his Central Asia Institute had built fifty-five
>schools"--From publisher description.
>
>Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
>Renee
>
>Renee Zurn
>Duluth Public Library
>520 W. Superior St.
>Duluth MN 55811

>as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
>producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley

--Guy Debord

[...]

"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."

--Guy Debord