RE: [Videolib] Damaged box sets

Cartford, Peter, JCL (CartfordP@jocolibrary.org)
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:20:48 -0500

Rene's answer:

The Duluth Public Library would circulate the remaining set after updating the Bib record to reflect this change. We do the same thing with music cd sets or video sets. If more then of the set was damaged or lost, we would consider replacing the set. We had this issue with Ed Sullivan's Rock n' Roll DVD series. We eventually reordered the series but only after two or three of the nine discs were left in our collection.

My answer:

Depends on the title. We either withdraw it from the collection entirely, or buy another copy of the set, replace the missing part and return it to the collection. What we *don't* do is mark a part missing and send it back out that way.

This is what I like about Videolib: you get such good, *consistent* advice (heh). Whatcha gonna do, Becky?

PC

Peter Cartford
AV Librarian
Johnson County Library
Overland Park, KS
913-495-2496
cartfordp@jocolibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu [mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Tatar, Becky
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 10:02 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Damaged box sets

Hi, everyone,

I was wondering how you all deal with box sets that have one disc that's
damaged, but the others are fine. This wouldn't be a feature film, or
television, but more often nonfiction, such as a title like America's
Most Scenic Drives, where there really isn't a narrative connection from
disc to disc. If you can't replace the disc, do you just list that one
as missing, and circulate the rest, or do you withdraw the entire title,
and replace it. Thanks.

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library