RE: [Videolib] "red tag" locking cases for DVDs?

Gretchen Raab (Raab@neenahlibrary.org)
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:37:28 -0500

Hello all,

We have just switched our 8,000 DVDs from KWIKcase security cases to red
tag cases in an effort to save time (formerly spent casing and uncasing
DVDs), space and money (lots!). The first couple of weeks required a
little extra diligence on behalf of staff--reminding people to have
staff remove the red tag if using our self check machine and staff
remembering to remove the tag themselves at checkout. We did have
customers take the cases home, red tag intact, and they were able to pry
or pop the cases open in order to watch the DVD, but that is happening
less frequently as we all--staff and customers--become more
familiar/comfortable with the change.

With our multi-disc sets, we simply leave in the original cases--or
another case that will accommodate them and don't use the red tags, but
use just the security overlays and hope for the best. These are
primarily our nonfiction DVDs, which are not really targets for theft;
most of our series/sets are split and cased individually or in twos so
the red tag cases work fine.

Note: When we switched to red tags, we also began using security
overlays on (almost) all of our DVDs, which has created an entirely
different set of issues with some of our customers. We did not purchase
the red tags with the security strips.

I would say our overall experience (which, admittedly, has only been a
month or so) has been positive. We won't go back to the cases!

Gretchen Raab
Neenah Public Library
Neenah, Wisconsin