RE: [Videolib] "red tag" locking cases for DVDs?

Beasley, Sarah (beasleys@carnegielibrary.org)
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:37:51 -0400

We haven't tried the Red Tag cases out on the floor, but our Processing
Department tested them out and quickly learned how to get discs out
without breaking any part of the case, the tag, or the disc itself. It
was alarmingly simple for them. In fact, at first I thought for sure
they were using the cases wrong, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
They could slip the disc out from the top of the case (it requires
someone with small hands, but only if you actually care about not
breaking anything - not the case with most of our thieves.) What was
most disappointing is that supposedly the case locks the disc in two
ways - by locking the case and by securing the disc to the hub so it
won't come off without breaking. Based on our tests they don't do
either of those things. It's a shame because they require so much less
space than other types of security.

I'd also be very interested to hear about the experience of others.

Sarah

Sarah Beasley
Manager, Film and Audio Department
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
4400 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
v. 412.622.1918
f. 412.688.8677
beasleys@carnegielibrary.org

The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message are solely
those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or
approved by the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.