Re: [Videolib] Vendors for Academic Media Libraries

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:27:00 -0400

--B_3265785226_77830377

I think there a number of venders who can streamline the ORDERING process
for one stop shopping of for lack of a better word
standard material. However it is hardly practical to =B3preview=B2 retail DVDs
such as studio feature films or pretty much anything that sells for
less than $40. It is generally assumed that people know what CITIZEN KANE o=
AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH are and don=B9t need to watch them.
Companies that specialize in high end educational material like First Run=
,
Women Make Movies, California Newsreel etc generally do NOT
allow their products to go through 3rd party venders ( feel free to correct
me on this guys) but they will usually allow previews since these films
are not generally as well known.

Also I recall in the past that you have sometimes needed PPR rights with
films, in THOSE cases you need to go to the rights holder directly.

Short answer would be that there are good venders for basic titles availabl=
in the retail market. I will leave it to librarians to suggest their
favorites but
for specialty films or rights you will need to go on your own

On 6/27/07 8:59 AM, "Rhonda Pancoe" <rpancoe@mail.colgate.edu> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> My job of media acquisitions has recently been transferred to the library=
from
> the informational technology center and my new boss has asked me to look =
for
> ways to streamline the acquisitions process. We are wondering if any of =
you
> are aware of any one vendor that we could use to preview and order items =
from.
> Presently we use a number of vendors and shop around for the best price. =
> know that because of the wide range of specialties it might be hard to fi=
nd
> just one vendor but any suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.
> =20
> Rhonda=20
> Rhonda Pancoe
> Media Acquisitions Coordinator
> Colgate University
> 13 Oak Drive
> Hamilton, NY 13346
> Phone: 315-228-7858
> Fax: 315-228-7725
> RPancoe@Mail.Colgate.Edu <mailto:RPancoe@Mail.Colgate.Edu>
> =20
> =20
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3265785226_77830377

Re: [Videolib] Vendors for Academic Media Libraries I thi= nk there a number of venders who can streamline the ORDERING process for one= stop shopping of for lack of a better word
standard material. However it is hardly practical to “preview” = retail DVDs such as studio feature films or pretty much anything that sells = for
less than $40. It is generally assumed that people know what CITIZEN KANE o= r AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH are  and don’t need to watch them.
Companies that specialize in high end educational  material like  = ;First Run, Women Make Movies, California Newsreel etc generally do NOT
allow their products to go through 3rd party venders ( feel free to correct= me on this guys) but they will usually allow previews since these films
are not generally as well known.

Also I recall in the past that you have sometimes needed PPR rights with fi= lms, in THOSE cases you need to go to the rights holder directly.

Short answer would be that there are good venders for basic titles availabl= e in the retail market. I will leave it to librarians to suggest their favor= ites but
for specialty films or rights you will need to go on your own