Re: [Videolib] "red tag" locking cases for DVDs?

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:05:03 +0200

Dear Joseph,

just at this moment we are running a test with Red Tag in our
DVD-collection since several months. Red Tag works far more simple than
most other systems with security cases. But there are some drawbacks:

- Red Tag is less safe than security cases because DVD-boxes are rather
flexible and you can bend open the boxes locked with Red Tag at the
outer corners and draw out the disc.

- As far as we know Red Tag works only with boxes for up to two discs.
But we need and use boxes with up to six discs locked by security cases.

- Red Tag is licensed to Amaray boxes which might damage the disc by
their typical Ying Yang buttons (perhaps there are other providers of
DVD-boxes for Red Tag in the US). Before the test with Red Tag we have
used special boxes with smoother buttons. We now applicate to each disc
a special anti-cracking ring from a Spanish provider
http://www.pantra.info/en/aros.html to avoid damage by Amaray boxes.
This is much work to prepare the discs for Red Tag.

But I know smaller libraries in an academic setting that are satisfied
with Red Tag. In our library with heavy circulation by a general public
I am rather skeptical with Red Tag.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin