Re: [Videolib] Internet connections in the U.S. vs. other

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:29:52 -0400

Well in terms of legal downloading. I would be surprised it grew fast in
Europe. The rights holders there seem deeply freaked out at the idea

On 6/26/07 4:09 PM, "James Steffen" <jsteffe@emory.edu> wrote:

> To follow up on a previous post in the streaming video thread, I had
> speculated that the US would be fairly slow in developing widespread
> downloading and/or video-on-demand services for commercial feature
> films on any large scale, due in part to the lack of internet
> infrastructure to support it.
>
> Here's a report from Speedmatters.org that I came across today, in
> which they argue that the U.S., at 1.97 mbps, is behind other developed
> countries in terms of median broadband download speeds:
>

> http://www.speedmatters.org/document-library/sourcematerials/sm_report.pdf
>
> Japan clocked in at 61 mpbs, and our civilized northern neighbor Canada
> beat us handily at 7.6 mbps. The report also includes breakdowns by
> state.
>
> And don't forget that large numbers of people, especially in rural
> areas, still only have 56k dialup access.
>
> That's why I don't think downloading/streaming will grow as quickly or
> become as pervasive as the DVD format any time soon, at least in the
> U.S.
>
> James

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner