Re: [Videolib] digital video interest group?

Judith Thomas (jthomas@virginia.edu)
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:46:53 -0400

--Apple-Mail-214-504266579
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

This from one of today's ALA sessions (Is the Learning Commons
Enough: Asking the Better Questions): Mark Valenti from the Sextant
Group said that the likely big buyer in the upcoming FCC auction of
bandwidth made available by TVs switch to digital broadcasting
is...Google. He suggest that this kind of marketplace shift will
cause the kind of quantum leap in broadband delivery that will enable
high-quality high-definition video to come roaring straight to the
desktop for a fraction of the current price.

Digital video now accounts for 60% of internet traffic! He
suggests that we're poised on the verge of another upward leap.

What does that mean for us and the way we do business? A Big
Question...

Judith Thomas
Robertson Media Center
University of Virginia Library
(434) 924-8814
jthomas@virginia.edu

--Apple-Mail-214-504266579

This from one of today's = ALA sessions (Is the Learning Commons Enough:=A0 Asking the Better = Questions):=A0 Mark Valenti from the Sextant Group said that the likely = big buyer in the upcoming FCC auction of bandwidth made available by TVs = switch to digital broadcasting is...Google. =A0 He suggest that this = kind of marketplace shift will cause the kind of quantum leap in = broadband delivery that will enable high-quality high-definition video = to come roaring straight to the desktop for a fraction of the current = price.=A0=A0

=A0Digital video now = accounts for 60% of internet traffic!=A0 =A0He suggests that we're = poised on the verge of another upward leap.=A0 =A0

What does that mean for us = and the way we do business?=A0 =A0A Big Question...

From: Ursula Schwarz [mailto:uschwarz@earthlink.net] =
Monday, June 25, = 2007 11:18 AM
= videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Re: [Videolib] = digital video interest group?
=A0

A = meeting/hospitality room is available during the entire Market. The best = time to have a special interest group meeting would be after screening = either Tuesday or Wednesday evening. The user group meeting already = scheduled on Tuesday is primarily attended by K-12 media professionals, = but I imagine some of them would also want to attend this digital video = meeting. The other option would be to meet during the last hour of = screening Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. I can make registrants aware = of this meeting and pick a day/time prior to the Market. Does anyone = have a better idea?

Ursula
National Media Market
(520) 743-7735 - =A0Fax: (520) = 743-7643

October 7 - 11, 2007

Conversation: [Videolib] digital video interest = group?
Subject: = RE: [Videolib] digital video interest group?

Yes, I'm = interested in it as well. =A0We should have a special interest
group meeting and have Ursula designate a time for us to meet. = =A0There's
much that we can share and discuss.

Regards, Jane

For those who don't go to ALA but got to the NMN. I just got a call from
Ursula Schwarz, there will be a room available at the National = Media
Market that we can use to meet there and talk about = digital video.
Anybody interested??
Let me know
Thanks
Cindy

Cindy Badilla-Melendez
Media Resources = Librarian
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library,
of = St. = Thomas
2115 Summit = Ave,
St = Paul, = = =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0
phone (651) 962-5464
fax (651) 962-5406 =

-
VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and = lively discussion of

issues relating to the selection, = evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic
control, = preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in
libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list = will serve
as an effective working tool for video librarians, as = well as a channel
of communication between = libraries,educational institutions, and video
producers and distributors.

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the = broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, = evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of = current and evolving video formats in libraries and related = institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective = working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication = between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and = distributors.

<= /HTML>= --Apple-Mail-214-504266579-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.