Re: [Videolib] Cdigix response to Videolib thread - "Streaming

ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:50:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Chris

Missed my VRT pals, too.

Re TEACH:

First, section 110(2)(A), as amended by the bill, emphasizes the concept
of mediated instruction by mandating that the exempted performance or
display be analogous to the type of performance or display that would take
place in a live classroom setting. The performance or display must still
be carried out by a government body or nonprofit educational institution,
and must still be a regular part of the institution's systematic
instructional activities. In addition, the bill requires that the
transmission be made "by or at the direction of an instructor as an
integral part of a class session." In sum, the work must be used as an
integral part of a classroom experience (albeit a virtual one), controlled
by the instructor, rather than as supplemental or background information
to be experienced independently.

See http://www.copyright.gov/docs/regstat031301.html

UC Berkeley

--Guy Debord