[Videolib] preservation (as opposed to a delivery) standard

Mark Richie (n2books@frontiernet.net)
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:46:56 -0500

Hi Gary et al - I changed the Subject line to reflect the new issue
raised here.

BTW everyone with an interest in digital delivery should read Mark
Kopp's 6/20 post.

Digital preservation is a more fluid problem than MP film, negative and
slide image preservation. Technology extinction and the instability of
physical media become factors. Nobody in the open literature predicted
ten years ago that copies made on CD would degrade due to light
exposure, so which format for preservation is just a piece of the problem.

To be honest, I have no clue what should be the "file format of record."
This was an issue that the NAMTC Working Group on Digital Delivery
Standards should have taken up. Unfortunately the working group was not
continued after 2004. See
http://www.namtc.org/newsletter-file.php?id=12. The full text was
published on the NAMTC web site but is now missing.

I still lean, for reasons that are beyond comprehension, toward MPEG-2.
With a variety of encoding ratios and transmission rates MPEG 2 can code
NTSC video at 3-15 Mbit/s, and HDTV at 15-30 Mbit/s. Audio is available
on a number of tracks and the MPEG-2 codec can handle MPEG-1 for legacy
digital video files as well. Using MPEG-4 as the storage format for
download or streaming motion images is a waste of bandwidth (IMHO) for
reasons explained previously.

In reality, you and I will not solve this. The market place of economic
interest will drive this answer just as VHS drove Betamax out - even
though the later had a technically superior playback image.

Mark Richie
"Professional Iconoclast"