Re: [Videolib] Cdigix response to Videolib thread - "Streaming

Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:44:34 -0700

--=====================_17951203==.ALT

Thanks, Mark

I would like to clarify a few things regarding your comments.

First and foremost, the The TEACH act ONLY supports synchronous distance
learning, NOT on-demand access to digital files outside of regular class
time. The Act calls this "mediated instructional activities," and the
intent is to support works an instructor would show or play during class.

Secondly: the TEACH Act does not allow the transmission of WHOLE dramatic
works--i.e. most Hollywood films (or works of international cinema). Under
provisions of the ACT only "reasonable and limited portions" of such works
are allowed.

Again, both the above stipulations pretty much knock VOD out of the water
and prohibit the transmission of whole dramatic works. DRM protections
really don't do anything to mitigate these restrictions. It seems to me
that while TEACH may support limited screening of whole
educational/non-dramatic works or portions of dramatic works in the service
of synchronous classroom instruction (proximate or distance), ANY VOD
transmission would still require specific licenses from the rights owner.

Gary Handman

At 11:51 AM 6/25/2007, you wrote:
>On behalf of Cdigix I would like to respond to this discussion thread and
>clarify a few things about our C-Labs solution and how we are
>communicating the value proposition, as well as the copyright / Teach Act
>aspects.
>
>C-Labs is a turn-key service that enables institutions to easily manage
>and digitally deliver rich media, using industry standard browsers,
>operating systems and video players. The solution includes our
>administrative software, encoding and digitization services, on campus
>cache servers for media and ongoing operational support.
>
>C-Labs is being used for all types of content, including school-owned,
>professor owned, licensed and purchased content. If used for licensed or
>purchased content, C-Labs is fully compliant with the technical
>requirements of the Teach Act. First, for secure delivery, we wrap/encode
>every copyrighted video or audio file with DRM, Digital Rights Management,
>the standard embraced by MPAA and RIAA member companies, and utilized by
>the leading media players available on Macs and PC's; Real Player and
>Windows Media Player. Second, secure digital audio and video content is
>only available for specific courses which utilize that content as part of
>the course, and only to registered / enrolled students in those courses,
>for a specified time period and authenticated by the institution - either
>through their course management system or their network/SIS system.
>
>As it relates to specific audio and video files that an institution uses,
>we consistently advise institutions to follow their internal legal
>policies and guidelines for use of copyrighted materials. We fully
>understand that educational content providers have copyright protection
>under The Teach Act and may have specific usage rights for digital
>delivery. Our system respects these rights and we ask that our university
>partners respect them as well.
>
>Lastly, it is our belief that institutions would prefer to have one
>digital media management and delivery system vs. having to purchase,
>manage and attempt to integrate digital delivery systems for each content
>publisher; just as institutions typically only support (or prefer to
>support) one course management system, one student information system,
>etc. We are happy to work with content publishers on an agreed licensing
>basis to enable them to utilize C-Labs as distribution system for their
>customers.
>

>Mark Brodsky
>Vice President, University Sales
>Cdigix
>Office: 303 470-0128
>Fax: 303 470-0372
>Cell: 303 396-9161
>
><mailto:mbrodsky@cdigix.com>mbrodsky@cdigix.com
>www.cdigix.com
>
>[]
>

>Visit Cdigix in Booth # 4246 at the '07 ALA Annual Conference

UC Berkeley

--Guy Debord

[...]

mbrodsky@cdigix.com
www.cdigix.com

[]

Visit Cdigix in Booth # 4246 at the '07 ALA Annual Conference

UC Berkeley

"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."

--Guy Debord