Re: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:34:07 -0700

So why not buy a perpetual or term license to digitize, do it yourself or
farm it out to encode, and then simply dump the stuff in an IP
authenticated directory on your server? What I'm grousing about here is
the fact that it seems nuts to let reserves drive the show. Much better to
make the stuff available to the entire campus, including the reserve-needy
class, for the longer haul.

gary

At 06:41 AM 6/21/2007, you wrote:
>For the needs of the faculty here, supplying "specific titles to
>specific classes for a limited period of time" is exactly what I want to
>do. That is because we run reserves here in the library - all reserves,
>audio, print, electronic. What the instructors want at my college is to
>offer audio and digital visual media through their Backboard courseware.
>Makes sense to me. Or place those same items on reserve in the library
>such that distance education students can access them off campus. So
>that would be exactly what I need to do: "respond to short term teaching
>needs."
>
>I am not scared of the IT department taking over and messing with my
>carefully managed collection. As of right now, they really don't want
>it.
>
>For me, and I am pretty sure Chuck, this is more of a reserves question
>or an access question and it is specifically about using library-owned
>media materials for curriculum support via Blackboard. I want to tell
>Distance Education Lady that the distance ed students can enjoy a media
>rich classroom experience, no problem. (So she will quit acting like she
>is tho only one on campus who gives a damn about students, if nothing
>else.)
>
> I am supposed to be pushing integration of all kinds of media in all
>kinds of classrooms; I'm the media librarian. I want to figure out how
>to actually do it, not just get support for saying "NO!" or being the
>repo man for film makers and distributors rights or the Deputy Copyright
>all the time. Plaintive cry: I want to figure out how to give them what
>they need.
>as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
>producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley

--Guy Debord