RE: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection[Scanned]

Mark Kopp (mkopp@iu08.org)
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:24:19 -0400

There are so many angles and so many arguments, it's hard to vette out
just what is being discussed, although it appears to be the same ole,
same ole. Librarians want to make their library materials available in
more efficient manner. To do so, requires a change in format. Rights
owners are worried about how they will get paid for such format
transfer. The media center would like to simply transfer the format, but
that seems to be a sticking point. The reason for the sticking point is
that the rights holder doesn't want to make the product "open" to the
world.

In steps technology! There are systems available that can be digital,
AND ensure the end user cannot "distribute" a protected video...AND only
allow one viewing at a time, if indeed, that's the rights' holders' real
issue...that "one-at-a-time" viewing exception.

Let me explain... (don't ask, I purchased digital materials with proper
rights)

The Teacher reserves a "digital" file.
The file is delivered via "DOWNLOAD".
The end user has our proprietary media player installed on their
computer, with username and password.
That file cannot be opened by another player.
When the teacher opens the file, the PLAYER contacts the reservation
server and ensures several issues are addressed.
1) Is there a current reservation
2) Is the user a "registered" user who is allowed to view.
3) The particular file has preset parameters that allow for 1 to 100 (or
more) simultaneous viewings

IF....
The reservation is not current, the file does not play.
The user does not have permission, the file does not play.
The file has preset permissions that only allow one viewing at a time,
the file does not play, if there are others viewing at that time.

The files are delivered AND managed via the Internet. It seems to
address issues on BOTH sides.

Mark

Mark W. Kopp
Technology Assistant