RE: [Videolib] Fwd: Video Business Online - MPAA, others call f or new anti-piracy campaign[Scanne

John Hoskyns-Abrahall ()
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:26:12 -0400

Hi, All

The basic reason that political documentaries in the developed world
tend to be 'left-wing' is that the form has to do with revealing things
that are hidden, and therefore are most likely to be anti-status quo.

For the reverse see the films that came out of Czechoslovakia and Poland
when they were under Soviet rule.

We've all heard the party line. What everyone wants to know is what's
really going on.

John Hoskyns-Abrahall

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:25 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Fwd: Video Business Online - MPAA, others call f
or new anti-piracy campaign[Scanned]

Not to drag this out too much but there are conservative docs but most
of them tend to be kind of cheap preaching to the converted types ( I
think there are at least 4 just attacking Michael Moore including a new
one called MANUFACTURING DISSENT)that show on a few campuses. Not sure
about vast left wing conspiracies , more like market driven. People paid
money to see things like FARENHEIT 9/11, SUPERSIZE ME, INCONVENIENT
TRUTH etc ( for the record I have not seen any of them since I only see
about 5 new films a year anyway). Trust me if you could make serious
money on a Pro-Iraq war or anti-Clinton documentary it would be
screening tomorrow at a theater near you.

Maybe lefties ( myself excluded) just go to more movies.

On 6/19/07 3:46 PM, "Mike Tribby" <mike.tribby@quality-books.com> wrote:

> "What's wrong with Ken Burns?"
>
> Well, confining my comments to just his baseball documentary, how
> about his assumption that 90% of what matters in baseball history took

> place in either Boston or New York?
>
> As to the politics of current documentarians, I tried to think of some

> recent documentaries with a conservative political leaning and could
> think of none. Is this because there aren't any, or because of a vast
> left-wing conspiracy? (There might be other reasons I suppose...)
>

> Mike Tribby
> Senior Cataloger
> Quality Books Inc.
> The Best of America's Independent Presses
>
> mailto:mike.tribby@quality-books.com

distributors.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner