RE: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:10:06 -0700 (PDT)

Here's how it works (we're talking about CDIGIX, yes?):

You pack off what you want digitized to CDIGIX (i.e. tape or DVD). They
encode it digitally for streaming (Windows Media only, I believe). When
they encode the piece they include encryption (digital rights management)
that allows use of the file by a specified, limited audience for a
specified period of time. They ship the files back to you (or FTP them).
You upload the files to your institution's server. OK, then things get
really weird: Students in the specified class(es) have access to
DOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNLOAD the video files to their desktop and to access
these for the specified period of time, on demand, whenevah! (Again: the
files are NOT streamed from a sever (as, for eg Films Media's files are);
they're actually downloaded to the desktop and played from there) Weird
on several counts...

As someone wrote earlier today: Public performance rights and digital
rights have absolutely, positively NOTHING! to do with each other. The
former allows you to display a copyrighted work to a group in a public
venue (remember--face-to-face teaching doesn't need such rights). The
latter has to do with making digital copies of copyrighted works (digital
derivatives, if you will) and/or delivering this content over digital
networks. Just because performance rights often come at a high price
doesn't mean that they include the right to make whoopie with a video do
any damn way you please..

My head hurts...

Gary