RE: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

Catherine Chahine (catherine@nationalfilmnetwork.com)
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:36:33 -0400

Hello Chuck,

How does that work? All the students are in the classroom and the professor
is in front of them and they all stream at the same time? Or is the
professor telling the students to go to the site and stream what they need
to watch and let's talk about it in the morning?

About that single DVD copy that's being used to make the file for
streaming... How many students will have access to that file?

I understand that streaming is the way to go for universities and libraries,
but what is happening to small distributors and independent filmmakers?
Educators need broader rights... Except for educators, filmmakers and
distributors, who cares much about a not-Michael Moore documentary?
Eventually, if you do get these broader rights, there will not be any new
documentaries to stream as no filmmaker will bother spending so much time,
effort, money and talent for so little return.

Gary, I have been told by many librarians at the diverse ALAs I went to that
they consider that the public performance price is plenty and covers all
their streaming rights. If I was a librarian I would certainly want to
believe that too. But I'm on the other side of the fence here and my opinion
is that a $200 copy does not cover a campus of 10,000 students.

Best,
Catherine