RE: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

Catherine Chahine (catherine@nationalfilmnetwork.com)
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:13:28 -0400

I'm a distributor and reading your back and forth about is it okay or not to
have your collection streaming. We will be streaming this summer about 200+
titles of our collection with more to come in the following months. In order
to do that, we had to clear the digital rights with every single filmmaker.
How can a university, college, library or individual can believe that just
because he/she/they invested in the technology to do so, it becomes legal to
strip a DVD, dump it on a server and stream for everyone for the price of a
home video copy? Or even a Public performance Rights copy! What is the logic
behind that belief? Do you realize this is stealing the intellectual
property from documentary filmmakers who have spent thousands if not
hundreds of thousands dollars of their own money without any chance of
repayment?

Catherine Chahine
National Film Network
www.nationalfilmnetwork.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:38 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

Well perhaps the way to put them on the spot would be to require something
in a contract that they take full legal and financial responsibility for
their unique interpretation of the TEACH ACT ( um a large bond backing up
this view might also be necessary) . Make sure they spell it out in
specifics and are willing to put their money where their mouth is