RE: [Videolib] Fwd: Video Business Online - MPAA, others call

Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:55:13 -0700

Ok ok ok ok

The American Heritage Dictionary is...well, stupid. Documentary film is,
by its very nature, NEVER, EVER, EVAHHHH objective. It can't be. The line
between documentary and fictional film has always been slim. Pick up a
camera and you're making subjective decisions about what to film, about how
to frame the image, about which evidence and rhetoric to apply.
Even cinema verite, which in its "purest" incarnations claims to lack
artifice and intervention, is massively subjective. There is no such thing
as documentary "legitimacy."
The filmmaker engages us in a discourse with the historical world using
evidence and argument drawn from that world, and we either buy into the
legitimacy of the argument--the truthfulness--or we don't.

Gary Handman