Re: [Videolib] Bullfrog / CA Newsreel / FRIF & WMM > re Streaming

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:31:37 -0400

--B_3265101098_36793932

That is the nuttiest thing I have heard for a while. They want the STUDIOS
to support their position that it is OK to digitize and stream their films
and not pay them. Oh that is going to go over big time.

It is a bit hard for me to believe they are sincere and straightforward whe=
their position does not match the law except apparently their own
lawyers unique view.
I googled their web site and their =B3version=B2 of the TEACH ACT=B2 is at best
incomplete and worst completely misleading.
Moreover they totally misrepresent ( in my view ) the position of Kenneth
Crews whom they use as their =B3authority=B2 The IU site on TEACH ACT
written by Dr. Crews goes to great lengths to explain its uses and
limitations while CDIGIX makes it sound like he supports virtually unlimite=
use
of any film for any kind of class.
The two biggest problems with their view are the definition of =B3distance
education=B2 which as near as I can tell to them is just a way to let
students view material outside of a class even if they are on campus and
regular attend a physical class and the idea that an entire
feature length film or work would be included in this view despite the
restrictions on this.

Anyway per previous e mail. Have them PUT THIS IN WRITING and accept the
financial and legal consequences of their view

On 6/19/07 11:20 AM, "Gary Handman" <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hi Jon
>=20
> I totally agree. I've beat my head against the wall with these folks ove=
r the
> past year trying to get this point across, but they're apparently more
> interested in selling systems than in protecting their customers from
> infringement. I think CDIGIX really believes in their viewpoint: they'v=
> supposedly talked with studios (Paramount, et al.) and their lawyers supp=
ort
> their position (at least that's what they say). The bottom line is that
> CDIGIX would probably not be the ones culpable in the case of an infringe=
ment
> suit: the institution delivering the goods would be.
>=20
> Gary
>=20
> PS: I've got to say, for the record, that the CDIGIX folks are very nice=
and
> pretty straight forward--I don't think they're unscrupulous in the
> least...just misguided. In any case, I think this is really a case of ca=
veat
> emptor...
>=20
> At 05:55 PM 6/18/2007, you wrote:
>> Dear Gary, Mark et al:
>>=20
>> As some of you know our four companies - Bullfrog Films, California
>> Newsreel, First Run/Icarus Films, and Women Make Movies - have been work=
ing
>> together on a number of fronts related to the evolution of the film
>> distribution in general and our companies in particular, and the evolvin=
>> use of Digital Video, with a current focus (for us) on Higher Education.
>>=20
>> In light of that we want to add (jointly) to this exchange, to say for t=
he
>> record that none of our companies will accept CDIGIX's argument (which w=
>> have been told they have put to some of our customers), and we urge you =
not
>> to either. It is wrong as a matter of law (and we will protect our and o=
ur
>> filmmakers' rights), and it would not make sense for any of us to contin=
ue
>> to do business with any institution which accepts their position.
>>=20
>> However, if you wish to digitize and stream or make available over netwo=
rks
>> etc. any of our titles currently in your collections, or wish to acquire
>> digital files or streaming rights to any new films, all four of our
>> companies are ready to work with you to make that possible.
>>=20
>> And, as our plans and yours develop, we look forward to doing so.
> [...]
DIGIX
DRM
We
>> license.

>>=20
>> Gary Handman
>> Director
>> Media Resources Center
>> Moffitt Library
>> UC Berkeley
>> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>>=20
>> "In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life
>> presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."
>>=20
>> --Guy Debord
>>=20
>> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of iss=
ues
>> relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control=
,
>> preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries=
and
>> related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effecti=
ve
>> distributors.
>>=20
>>=20
>> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of iss=
ues
>> relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control=
,
>> preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries=
and
>> related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effecti=
ve
>> distributors.=20
> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>=20
> <http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC> "In societies where modern conditions =
of
> production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulatio=
n of
> spectacles."
>=20
> --Guy Debord
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3265101098_36793932

Re: [Videolib] Bullfrog / CA Newsreel / FRIF & WMM > re Strea= ming videos from the collection That = is the nuttiest thing I have heard for a while. They want the STUDIOS to sup= port their position that it is OK to digitize and stream their films
and not pay them. Oh that is going to go over big time.

It is a bit hard for me to believe they are sincere and straightforward whe= n their position does not match the law except apparently their own
lawyers unique view.
I googled their web site and their  “version” of the TEACH= ACT” is at best incomplete and worst completely misleading.
Moreover they totally misrepresent ( in my view ) the position of Kenneth C= rews whom they use as their “authority” The IU site on TEACH ACT=
written by Dr. Crews goes to great lengths to explain its uses and limitati= ons while CDIGIX makes it sound like he supports virtually unlimited use
of any film for any kind of class.
The two biggest problems with their view are the definition of  “= ;distance education” which as near as I can tell to them is just a way= to let
students view material outside of a class even if they are on campus and re= gular attend a physical class and the idea that an entire
feature length film or work would be included in this view despite  th= e restrictions on this.

Anyway per previous e mail. Have them PUT THIS IN WRITING and accept the fi= nancial and legal consequences of their view

I totally agree.  I've beat my head against the wall with these folks = over the past year trying to get this point across, but they're apparently m= ore interested in selling systems than in protecting their customers from in= fringement.  I think CDIGIX really believes in their viewpoint:  t= hey've supposedly talked with studios (Paramount, et al.) and their lawyers = support their position (at least that's what they say).  The bottom lin= e is that CDIGIX would probably not be the ones culpable in the case of an i= nfringement suit:  the institution delivering the goods would be.

Gary

PS:  I've got to say, for the record, that the CDIGIX folks are ver= y nice and pretty straight forward--I don't think they're unscrupulous i= n the least...just misguided.  In any case, I think this is really a ca= se of caveat emptor...

As some of you know our four companies - Bullfrog Films, California
Newsreel, First Run/Icarus Films, and Women Make Movies - have been working=
together on a number of fronts related to the evolution of the film
distribution in general and our companies in particular, and the evolving use of Digital Video, with a current focus (for us) on Higher Education.
In light of that we want to add (jointly) to this exchange, to say for the<= BR> record that none of our companies will accept CDIGIX's argument (which we have been told they have put to some of our customers), and we urge you not=
to either. It is wrong as a matter of law (and we will protect our and our<= BR> filmmakers' rights), and it would not make sense for any of us to continue<= BR> to do business with any institution which accepts their position.

However, if you wish to digitize and stream or make available over networks=
etc. any of our titles currently in your collections, or wish to acquire digital files or streaming rights to any new films, all four of our
companies are ready to work with you to make that possible.

And, as our plans and yours develop, we look forward to doing so.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Miller

On behalf of:
        Bullfrog Films: www.bullfro= gfilms.com <http://www.bullfrogfi= lms.com/>
        California Newsreel: www.ne= wsreel.org <http://www.newsreel.org/&g= t;

At 07:38 PM 6/17/2007, you wrote:
> [...]
>VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of >issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic=
>control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in=
>libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serv= e
>as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel= of
>communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video >producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley

"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of li= fe

--Guy Debord

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues=
relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries an= d
related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective<= BR> working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and
distributors.

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues= relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, p= reservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and = related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective w= orking tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication betw= een libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors= .
UC Berkeley