Re: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

James Steffen (jsteffe@emory.edu)
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:52:10 -0400

I'm assuming you're talking about streaming an entire video, as opposed
to brief clips.

It's important not to confuse "public performance rights" with digital
rights of any kind. "Public performance rights" entail a live showing
of a video or film before a group of people in circumstances that are
not covered by face-to-face teaching exemption. (If I'm not mistaken,
some distributors don't even allow for closed-circuit transmission on
campus under that definition.)

Streaming is something different altogether since it entails creating a
new digital copy (!) that's housed on a server.

I would start by reading carefully any license agreement associated
with the individual video or distributor. If you don't have any
paperwork that came with the video itself, check the distributor's
website. Most likely you will have to contact them again to negotiate
any permission to stream the title on campus--if the distributor is
willing to let you do it. You'll probably also have to pay an
additional fee.

--James

--
James M. Steffen