Re: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:14:28 -0700

The TEACH act has nothing whatsoever to do with digitizing standing
collections of materials or even digitizing whole works for short-term
on-demand transmission (i.e. reserves). TEACH supports the digital delivery
of portions of works in the context of SYCHRONOUS teaching (i.e. I'm
teaching a class in Berkeley and New York simultaneously via distance
technologies and what to show a portion of a video to both)

And yes yes yes, it is my opinion (the opinion of a librarian not a lawyer)
that one would need a license to digitize and deliver a copyrighted
work. CDIGIX contends that their lawyers say
otherwise. Remember: they're not the ones who would be hauled into court
for infringement.

Gary