Re: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

James Steffen (jsteffe@emory.edu)
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:44:58 -0400

Also, while it's true that in most places individuals can subscribe to
broadband internet for $50 a month, there are still lots of
neighborhoods that *only* have 56k dialup, especially in rural areas.
The digital infrastructure in the US is actually aging and in dire need
of improvement compared to the more advanced countries in Europe.

And there are an awful lot of people who simply can't afford $50 a
month for internet on top of all their other expenses. Cable modems
cost money, too!

If you consider those factors, plus the complexities of licensing
feature film content, I think it's going to be a long time before
on-demand access develops to the point that Rick is envisioning.

BTW: This weekend I watched DICK TRACY on hi-def cable on demand at a
friend's house. It looked absolutely amazing and left me with a
terrible case of plasma screen envy.

James

--
James M. Steffen