Re: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:07:31 -0400

Rick
I don't know what it will be like 10 years from now but I assure that for
the next SEVERAL years there won't be much in the way of non studio feature
films for download and I am not sure about studio material either.

We can check back in five year from now and see how your profs are doing if
they want to show MODERN TIMES, GRAND ILLUSION or BREATHLESS to their
students. Not sure I get why it is expensive to "deliver" a DVD to a
classroom but I guess everything is relative. Ironically I would think that
the cost per film anyway would go UP significantly. Right now you buy the
DVD or VHS and use it as many times as you like till it dies. The
distributor has no idea how many times you use it. On the other hand if they
decide they want $2 every time someone uses it , might get much more
expensive.

In any event not happening soon at least in my view of time ( 5 years and
still only a dribble on the foreign stuff in terms of LEGALLY available)

On 6/15/07 5:32 AM, "Rick Faaberg" <rfaaberg@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 6/14/07 7:25 AM "Jessica Rosner" <jrosner@kino.com> sent this out:
>
>> I think the Chaplin Estate can take care of themselves and it is a bit silly
>> to think that if you can't watch MODERN TIMES via download next year it will
>> become irrelevent. Moreover I think it would outrageous if teachers or
>> librarians decided that since they could not obtain Chaplin films on line ,
>> they just would not bother to use them in class via a clumsy old DVD.
>>

> It's majorly expensive to physically deliver a DVD or VHS tape to a
> classroom.
>
> Why not deliver the video via existing networks and eliminate the physical
> delivery of a VHS or DVD?
>
>> If you and your children are going to limit your film viewing to downloads
>> ( Chaplin films being readily available on VHS & DVD and on film much of the
>> time) then you will be missing many great things
>
> It's pretty dumb, now that broadband is available to everybody for around
> $50 per month, to tie delivery of video to a physical object like a VHS tape
> or a DVD - in my oh so humble opinion.
>
> Rick Faaberg

> distributors.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE