Re: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

James Steffen (jsteffe@emory.edu)
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:25:57 -0400

Also, I think the widespread notions among librarians and other
educators that we can only reach the "digital natives" "where they
are," and that "if it's not online it doesn't exist" don't give younger
folks enough credit for being open and inquisitive.

This is another form of groupthink, in my view, promoted by people who
spend much of their time on the lecture circuit and have a particular
tech-oriented axe to grind. We need to resist pushing those lines of
thinking too far, or we'll end up neglecting to do our job of
introducing people to the world *beyond* the Internet.

By the way, our DVD copies of the Chaplin films are very popular, thank
you very much. And talking to students when they come to request DVDs
for overnight checkout, I've been surprised at the extent to which even
non-Film Studies majors are consciously giving themselves a "film
education" with the library's media collection. In this respect, our
decision a couple of years ago to open up a large portion of the DVD
collection to overnight circulation to students has really paid off.

James

--
James M. Steffen
Film Studies and Media Librarian