Re: [Videolib] Thanks -- public showing

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:40:03 -0400

--------------030007010500080405030805

That's a shame. I would echo Jessica's thoughts in her previous email
about how film screenings as 'events' on campuses are being devalued --
watching a film as a group will so often lead to a much richer
experience (through discussion, shared reaction, etc.) that I think it's
worth fighting for support. I would encourage librarians and faculty at
academic institutions to advocate for funding PPR for such showings. So
many times the reaction to complying with the law and paying PPR fees is
"Well, the big bad studios are out for a buck and now we can't do our
thing." Having worked with several distributors of foreign / art films
to rent films for campus showings, I can say with confidence that this
is hardly the case. Some of these companies are running at very small
margins and care about the films and filmmakers they distribute -- huge
profits are definitely not what they're after. It's important for
universities and colleges to support these activities in a legal way.
Especially given that so many faculty care a great deal about their own
intellectual property rights, it seems strange that there are those who
would disregard or denigrate those same intellectual property rights in
regards to filmmakers and distributors (not that this is the case in
this current discussion, but I've heard and read enough to know that
that attitude is fairly pervasive). That said, of course I realize that
obtaining funding for any cultural event can certainly be difficult, but
I'd like to encourage other librarians to do what they can to work with
their faculty and governing bodies on campus to advocate for the
necessary financial support for public film screenings.

Best,

Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Senior Assistant Librarian
Morris Library, University of Delaware