Re: [Videolib] Showing of recent release film

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:50:18 -0400

The student group has to clear ( as in PAY) the rights holder
If it a studio film it most likely belongs to SWANK if not Criterion
Pictures.
It makes no difference if they are charging or not ( though rights holder
usually gets 50% of box office when they do).

Makes no difference on the source BUT since you are aware they are showing
the film publicly you need to make sure they have the clearance or you could
be liable for any copyright violation should they use a copy from the
Library

Also the age ( recent release) is basically irrelevant. All that matters is
that they are showing the film publicly. It would be the same if they were
showing CITIZEN KANE or CITY LIGHTS ( shameless plug on that one)

On 6/13/07 11:33 AM, "Francis Kuykendall" <FKuykendall@southark.edu> wrote:

> I know this has been discussed before, but will someone explain the
> guidelines for showing a recent release film to students as a student
> serves activity. There will be no charge. Is there a policy difference
> between renting the movie and the library purchasing the movie?
> Thank you,
>
> Francis Kuykendall
> South Arkansas Community College
> Library