Re: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:21:18 -0400

I would say the vast majority of rights holders of foreign and some
independent ( non studio titles) will at the very least wait a long time
until they 110% convinced that the system is 110% secure and they can make
money and that will be many years off for most of these people.
It is not really that different from how slowly many of these films became (
nor never became) available on VHS or DVD). You are dealing with everyone
from large foreign companies with large libraries ( Gaumont, Bavaria etc)
to the estates of major filmmakers ( Chaplin, Pagnol) to some person who
might only a collection of 6 French films made in the 50s. I think with many
of them will OK this when the time comes that they see a situation where
they can make serious money and feel safe they will do it but others may
never do it.

There will simply never be a time when all let's say significant or films
likely to be used an academic setting are going to be available for
streaming and the process for feature films becoming available will be very,
very slow.

On 6/13/07 2:05 AM, "Rick Faaberg" <rfaaberg@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 6/12/07 8:38 AM "jrosner@kino.com" <jrosner@kino.com> sent this out:
>
>> I imagine there is a wide gap between educational and feature material.
>> For a company like Kino this is not going to be practical for a while given
>> both
>> rights and technology issues. Many of the films in our collection would never
>> have included such rights and they have to negotiated one by one, even in
>> cases
>> where we have them we would be very ruluctant to license them to a third
>> party
>> and in many cases probably could not anyway. To give you one very odd example
>> we found out that METROPOLIS will probably never be able to licensed for
>> streaming by us or anyone else because of weird element of German copyright
>> and the estate of the family of artist who developed the design for Maria
>> the Robot ( who knew). At this point our focus would be on download
>> technology
>> for consumer use. We of course have a lot of foreign films who rights are
>> more
>> complex and whose owners might well freak at the concept of licensing
>> material
>> for streaming. I am not saying it won't happen but for feature material I
>> don't
>> think it will happen very quickly or easily and as always there will be tens
>> of
>> thousands of films that for one reason or another you can't license
>
> How do they plan to make money on their holdings once basically *everything*
> is streamed except for their holdings?
>
> Rick Faaberg

> distributors.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE