RE: [Videolib] Streaming Videos from the Collection

Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:40:53 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C7AD21.3563F731

------_=_NextPart_002_01C7AD21.3563F731

We are in the process of offering the same service as Chris mentions
below. Patrons will need to be authenticated either by being on
campus, or logging in through a proxy server. We will conduct a test
pilot of streaming files in the OPAC at the end of July. We hope to ask
a select group of students and faculty multiple questions regarding the
digital files which will help us to determine what types of films I
should purchase in the future, and how services can be improved. We are
offering streaming services only which will prevent (I hope) faculty or
students from copying files to an external medium.=20
=20
I am uploading digital files from both PBS and FMG to our library
server. I have uploaded @50 film titles to the server. Believe me, this
has not been an inexpensive purchase. =20
=20
We are also learning a few lessons as we go along. For instance, I had
to work closely with Tech Services and my collection development officer
to develop a Digital Streaming: Ordering and Cataloging Workflow
document. I've worked closely with LIT to develop and prepare the
encoding form for metadata,. LIT is working with our Digital Library
Program to assign and create PURLS for each digital file. LIT made the
decision to use FLASH software. (During our early pilots, we were
creating digital files for both QT and Real Media. It was a nightmare.)
Cataloging has had to create and attach a second item record to reflect
the digital version of which a tangible format must exist. I don't know
all the behind-the-scenes details, but I know this has been a more
time-consuming process for Tech Services and LIT than it has been for
me.
=20
Like I mentioned, this has been a learning process for everyone
involved, but it's going to be a huge and worthwhile service to our
faculty and students. At this time, I am not using an outside company
to license any of our collection through an e-Reserves system. Call me
selfish, but I'd prefer to have the libraries control how we provide
access to our films. I know not every library has the equipment, staff,
or funds to be able to build a large digital streaming library, but if
you do have a say later in the future, try to build your own internal
infrastructure to support streaming access and options.
=20
Best,=20

Monique Threatt=20
Associate Head, Kent Cooper Room Services=20
Herman B Wells Library=20
1320 E. 10th Street=20
Indiana University=20
Bloomington, IN 47405=20