RE: [Videolib] Films on art/artists

Adams, Michael (MAdams@gc.cuny.edu)
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:58:31 -0400

The Impressionists is an excellent 3-hr 2006 Brit TV dramatization about
Manet, Monet, Cezanne, Renoir, and Degas. It has mass appeal without
being too superficial. Beautifully photographed.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Dennis Doros
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:46 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Films on art/artists

Gary and friends,

I don't know if you have a list already, but I'm looking for ideas on
the best "popular" films about art and artists. They can be feature or
doc, old or new, but they have to have mass, rather than
educational-only, appeal. (No qualitative judgement suggested, just
acknowledgement of who the program is for.)

Examples would be like Lust for Life, The Mystery of Picasso, Jarman's
Carravaggio, A Day on the Grand Canal with the Emperor of China,
Superstar, Andrei Rublev, Edvard Munch, Frida, Pollack, My Left Foot,
A Bigger Splash, Rivers and Tide, Crumb, Basquait, Korda's Rembrandt,
etc.

And they don't have to be on DVD or even distributed at the moment.

Thanks!

--
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video