RE: [Videolib] Women directors videography

Thu, 17 May 2007 08:14:40 -0700

--=====================_161793546==.ALT

Thanks Phil and sorry for the late reply

We do have Leontine on the list (wish there were a DVD of Maedchen!),=20
and...gulp...at least one film by La Barbra (Yentl...the lesser of several=
=20
really evil evils).

Lynn Hershman is great, but we're pretty much limiting the list to=20
international feature film directors...zillions of other notable=20
documentary and experimental women filmmakers out there, but you have to=20
draw the line somewhere.

Thanks to all for suggestions and recommendations. I've expanded the list=
=20
slightly since the last round of correspondence. Check it out.

Gary

At 02:20 PM 5/14/2007, you wrote:
>Hi Gary,
>
>The list is outstanding but there are a few I would consider adding. Even=
=20
>though she only made one film of note, I would consider adding Leontine=20
>Sagan, whose film =93Maedchen in Uniform=94 is a true classic.
>
>Also=ADLynn Hershman-Leeson is an important artist who is developing a=20
>growing body of feature film work. Her latest film, Strange Culture, was=
=20
>well received at Sundance and Berlin.
>
>Finally=ADI know there will be some groans out there, so get it out of your=
=20
>system, but Barbra Streisand should be added. She is the first American=20
>woman to be nominated for Best Director by the DGA (Director=92s Guild of=
=20
>America), she had a film nominated for Best Picture by the AMPAS and she=20
>is one of a handful of women whose name alone could greenlight a film=20
>project (if she ever decided she wanted to direct again).
>
>My two cents,
>
>Phil Hallman
>Film Librarian
>Donald Hall Collection
>Dept of Screen Arts & Cultures
>University of Michigan

UC Berkeley

"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life=20

--Guy Debord

Thanks Phil and sorry for the late reply

We do have Leontine on the list (wish there were a DVD of Maedchen!), and...gulp...at least one film by La Barbra (Yentl...the lesser of several really evil evils).

Lynn Hershman is grea= t, but we're pretty much limiting the list to international feature film directors...zillions of other notable documentary and experimental women filmmakers out there, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Thanks to all for suggestions and recommendations.  I've expanded the list slightly since the last round of correspondence.  Check it out.

Gary