RE: [Videolib] cataloging videos PPR question

Jen Stutesman (jennifer.stutesman@wwcc.edu)
Thu, 10 May 2007 09:26:09 -0700

------_=_NextPart_11942_00002995.00000491

Thanks Laura! That's very helpful!

-jen

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Laura May
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:37 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] cataloging videos PPR question

Dear Jen,

At Concordia University Libraries in Montreal, we recently started
identifying videos with PPR. We use the MARC 540 field and the following
wording: Public Performance Rights obtained. Classroom viewing
permitted. We also indicate if there isn't PPR by putting the phrase
"Personal Use Only" in the MARC 540 field. We also label the material
with the same phrases for circulation staff. If the item doesn't have
PPR, then it can't be viewed in the classroom (as is Canadian law, like
Susan Weber indicated in her message).

I can understand the librarian's warning about catalog records being
accessible/viewable to an audience outside of your institution but at
the same time I think you need to take into account what your primary
audience is. Who are you really cataloging for? Sure, you're cataloging
for the world but you are also cataloging for a specific audience. It's
important to find the balance between that. JMHO

If you are concerned about using a MARC 540 field (or 506) in your
bibliographic records, perhaps you would consider putting this
information in a local note (e.g. MARC 590).

This information, regardless of which MARC field you use, could be
stripped from the record when you report holdings to OCLC.

Hope that helps,

Laura

--

Laura May