Re: [Videolib] cataloging videos PPR question

Susan Weber (sweber@langara.bc.ca)
Wed, 09 May 2007 16:05:01 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_+bCaEMP8KpLBF0y7LGSHbA)

Jen:
there should be a note in 506 or 540, depending on the restriction -
this explains more.
http://www.langara.bc.ca/aemac/restriction_phrases.html
Keep in mind that these phrases were developed for a B.C. consortium
which has a
union database for media lending.
Nevertheless, the ground rules apply, and the phrasing of the
restriction is universal.

If the phrase is clear, I don't see that a patron would be confused,
whether they are
on your campus, or off. For example: Restrictions: Walla Walla
community use only.
or, Public Performance Rights included.
We chose to make our default that Public Performance Rights were
included, and to
put a restriction when they are not included. This is because the
majority of our holdings
will have the PPR, as it is Canadian law that PPR is necessary for
classroom use.

Susan

--

Susan Weber, Media Librarian

Langara College, Advanced Education Media Acquisitions Centre 100 West 49th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 2Z6 http://www.langara.bc.ca/aemac

Tel. 604-323-5533 email: sweber@langara.bc.ca

Fast Forward Media Showcase, April 25-26, 2007

http://www.langara.bc.ca/ffwd

--Boundary_(ID_+bCaEMP8KpLBF0y7LGSHbA) Content-type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> Jen:

Jen Stutesman wrote:

[...]

--Boundary_(ID_+bCaEMP8KpLBF0y7LGSHbA)-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.