Re: [Videolib] cataloging videos PPR question

Deborah Benrubi (benrubi@usfca.edu)
Wed, 09 May 2007 15:04:42 -0700

--=====================_27441390==.ALT

At 01:03 PM 5/9/2007 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I remember this being discussed a while ago, (I think) but I cannot find
>it in the archives. We want to put a note (say, in the 500 field or
>something) in the video record saying if we have PPR on the title. For
>instance, Bullfrog titles come with PPR. I would note that in the catalog
>record. We were warned against this recently by another librarian doing a
>panel on DVD cataloging, because catalog records get viewed by more people
>than just our institution patrons, faculty, and staff, and she was worried
>about people (just the general public) outside our institution (maybe
>looking at the record through OCLC) thinking the PPR extended to them. In
>reality, all our agreements with video vendors differ slightly; some offer
>PPR for extra $$, and some allow us to use the video if we ask for
>permission, but dont charge. (Like ADV) We dont loan our videos outside
>our immediate consortium, but what if we did in the future? I can see the
>librarians point of concern&Ive already created a paper file in my office
>that lists most of our popular vendors and their PPR agreements, but I was
>trying to attach that to the catalog record in some way. Or is this just
>something that defies an easy catalog tag, and will have to be handled in
>person?
>
>Thanks, jen
>

>Jen Stutesman
>
>Instructional, Media, & Technical Services Librarian
>
>Walla Walla Community College
>
>Walla Walla, WA
>

>Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
>information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications
>privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you
>are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally
>prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise
>disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the
>sender that you have received this communication in error, and then
>immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Deborah Benrubi
Technical Services Librarian
University of San Francisco
Gleeson Library|Geschke Center
2130 Fulton St.
San Francisco, CA 94117

PHONE (415) 422-5672 / FAX (415) 422-2233
EMAIL <benrubi@usfca.edu>