RE: [Videolib] "This DVD won't play!"

James Scholtz (jimscholtz@sdln.net)
Thu, 3 May 2007 16:04:22 -0500

Hi Matt, Jim Scholtz here. I'm from a public library, so personally, I
don't want our patrons 'tinkering' with our media (meaning cleaning or
repairing) - even cleaning it with a 'soft' cloth (because soft may be
misunderstood). In the past with VHS tapes, well-intentioned patrons
spliced tape together with scotch tape because they wanted to be helpful.
Recently, we had a patron clean a DVD with toothpaste - worked okay but
smelled 'minty fresh' and left a little residue around the edge.
Back when VHS tapes were just new and we circulated videos from locked
cases, displaying the purchase prices on each item - I remember one lady
took out a video that was $550 - it got stuck in her VCR and she unplugged
the unit and brought it to the library for me to extract the tape because it
was worth more than her VCR! With the advent of $25.00 Walmart DVD players,
that could happen with DVDs.

Buttons on cases are difficult too - if you use a standard aftermarket case
and know that the release buttons operate all the same, a "push button sign"
at checkout or on the individual case might work, but if you use the
marketed cases, all of them are different, so it might be a squeeze-together
hub. Since you're in a college, you have a bit more control and seemingly
more educated patrons. Do you want patrons using a soft cloth with Windex
to wipe off DVDs/CDs - will this damage any property markings/stickers you
have on discs/cases? At our library, we include a damage report form at the
point of circulation so that patrons can report physical playability
problems, physical condition problems of item/case, etc. and that has helped
a lot. Perhaps on the flip side of that problem report/bookmark, we should
also put information on the care and feeding of media (thanks for the idea)
but our patrons have a problem reading the DUE DATE, so I'm not sure it
would help a lot.

Jim Scholtz.