RE: [Videolib] "This DVD won't play!"

Carol Dunn (Dunn@findlaylibrary.org)
Thu, 3 May 2007 15:38:08 -0400

We just posted a sign that says
PUSH THE BUTTON!
I can't tell you how many DVDs we have lost because patrons literally
rip them
out of the case--and the DVD cracks. We've had compact discs for years,
and have never had this problem.
The manufacturer of these DVD cases apparently has never seen a compact
disc case. :-)
Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Matt Bailey
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 3:25 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] "This DVD won't play!"

I'm wondering if any of you out there have on your websites a page that
tells patrons how to handle DVDs properly and/or how to clean them. As
our DVDs circulate more and more, I'm hearing from people such things as
"I think this DVD is broken - I can't get it to play,"
or "This DVD froze up on me half-way through." When I actually get the
disc in my hand, I flip it over and find that the playing surface is
covered in fingerprints or other unidentifiable sticky substances.
If they had either handled the disc properly or wiped it with a soft
cloth, they could have gotten it to play just fine.

So I'm interested in creating such a page for our library, but would be
perfectly happy to rip off (with permission) someone else's.

Matt

--
Matt Bailey
Media Resources Coordinator