RE: [Videolib] Audio Visual selection policies

Amanda Ros (tsav@jgrls.org)
Tue, 1 May 2007 11:04:21 -0500

We do not censor our collection anymore. Our previous director had
issues with nudity in books, but we have added all of them back into our
collection since our new director came onboard. Our system made the
national news several years ago for pulling Jon Stewart's "America" book
because of the pics of the heads of Supreme Court Justices superimposed
on nude bodies.

Our collection development policy may change for movies, as our director
does not approve of censorship. I don't know when the R-rating policy
went into effect, but it was well before my time. It's really a
non-issue because patrons know that if what they want is rated R they
will have to go somewhere else.

I realize that we *should* have them if requested, but at this point we
don't. That may change.

Amanda

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Blane Halliday
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 10:40 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Audio Visual selection policies

Mary & List,

We do not have a written policy regarding TV series purchases. We have
large and growing collection of the series, though. In selecting titles
for
purchase, I look at reviews, perceived long term interest, popularity,
and
cost. As much as possible, I try to accommodate most customer requests,
but
have thus far steered clear of 'reality TV' shows, as I'm doubtful they
would hold the long term interest or popularity or repeat viewings of
shows
like 'The Sopranos', 'South Park', or 'The Simpsons'.

development policy not allowing 'R' rated films extends to print media.

Blane Halliday
AV Librarian
Collier County Public Library
2385 Orange Blossom Drive