RE: [Videolib] small lib coll

James Scholtz (jimscholtz@sdln.net)
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:11:48 -0500

Hi Carol, Jim Scholtz here - Yankton Community Library (SD) Director. When
you say you want to develop a small but good collection of (films) - I
presume that you mean on DVD. It's difficult to recommend various lists
because there are so many great films. But I have a few questions that you
might ask yourself before you start getting/going over lists (if I may be so
presumptious)

1)Since you are in a college library, what is the purpose of this collection
in your college? To supplement curriculum (i.e. Subject content, film
studies, etc.?)

2)Who do you envision to be the users of these films (faculty/staff,
students - for class or pleasure, community members/clubs)? -

3)Do you need public performance rights for these DVDs - will they be shown
to supplement/as an integral part of the curriculum content or just used for
individual showings/group showings - not related to content?

4)How big do you want the collection to become over the next 5 years? What
shape do you want it to be eventually (collecting more of the same titles,
adding more depth/breadth - such as going for specific
genres/actors/director)?

5)How will you advertise this collection to the users?

6)Do you want to go national AND international - dubbed or captioned.

7)How much money do you have for collection right now (figure $20 for each
DVD). How will you circulate - do you need security boxes - this impacts
overall budget? How will you shelve items/where will you shelve?

All of that being said you might consider collecting all of the available
National Film Registry films (Library of Congress list from 1990-on they
choose 25 films per year to add - Google NFR to get list).

Feature films - all Academy Award best picture (from what start date?) -
follow up with best actor/actress, then others for depth/breadth.

Choose a film selection guide like Halliwell's Film Guide or Randy Pitman's
older Best Movies and pick all 5*, then 4* (this includes
national/international films) as well.

Subscribe to Randy Pitman's video review magazine (print and on-line) -
Video Librarian - on-line will give you comprehensive index searching of
reviews - both feature and nonfiction, then you can sort by subject/genre
and generate your own lists -

I know these aren't the lists you were hoping for but they will give you
some idea and, more importantly, the freedom to select intelligently and
with consideration for your patrons/curriculum (not that you haven't thought
of these questions already). I hope this information helps.

Jim Scholtz.