RE: [Videolib] Open access to DVD collection

Coral Peterson (cpeter@reginalibrary.ca)
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:15:22 -0600

I need to give out more information regarding my initial request regarding
open access for our DVD collection.

We started our DVD collection back in 2004 and kept all DVDs behind the desk
using the 2-box system. Since then front desk staff have been spending more
and more time retrieving the discs at check-out and then placing them back
behind the desk when they are returned. We tried a 3-month pilot project
ending April 25th. at 2 of our busier branches without security gates. The
loss rate was surprisingly very low. Now we want to try it all our branches.
I am worried that once word is out we will be wiped out. In my final report
I want to include an acceptable loss rate so that if it is exceeded we can
stop with the open access and return to the 2-box system and then look at
other options.

Coral

Coral Peterson, B.A., M.L.I.S.
AV Collections Coordinator