Re: [Videolib] ok, if ALA doesn't appreciate us . . .

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:52:16 -0500

Maureen,
As a library that is administratively attached to an academic college, I can
attest to the fact that all our needs (funding, staff, collection, space,
etc.) fall way below the needs of the academic departments in the college. A
discipline specific library on our campus will be needing a new librarian
soon, and the parent academic department is viewing the position as an
opportunity to fill two needs - a part-time faculty position and a part-time
library worker - with one person. Notice I did not say librarian! My
recommendation is that media librarians work within their library structures
to educate library administration, colleagues, and campus faculty to the
realities of non-print media as an equal partner in the creation,
collection, and dissemination of information.
Gail

Gail B. Fedak, Manager
Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State University