Re: [Videolib] ok, if ALA doesn't appreciate us . . .

Thu, 26 Apr 2007 07:59:38 -0700

Hi Maureen

I think this a really really really bad idea. (or, let's say, at least on
this campus it would be). Academic departments typically have much sorrier
budgets and much less effective service infrastructures than
libraries. The overall mission of academic departments is much more
circumscribed than that of the campus library.

I think that it's a much more effective strategy to build strong
intellectual and service alliances with these departments than to become
administratively hitched.

Gary

At 06:18 PM 4/25/2007, you wrote:
>have any academic video librarians out there considered the possiblility
>of aligning their collections and themselves (ok, I know they aren't OUR
>collections, but it feels that way after a few, um, decades) with the film
>departments of their schools, instead of with the Library?
>Are there any colleges or universities whose cinema studies programs have
>independent video collections?
>hmmmm?
>
>Maureen Tripp
>Media Librarian
>Media Services Center
>180 Tremont St. 3rd Floor
>Boston, MA 02116
>maureen_tripp@emerson.edu
>(617)824-8676

>as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
>producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley

--Guy Debord