Re: [Videolib] Nothing about videos in ALA's State of Libraries report?

Judith Thomas (jthomas@virginia.edu)
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:40:46 -0400

--Apple-Mail-48--575932755
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

Peter Kaufman from Columbia gave an fascinating presentation on =20
"Teaching in the new (video) vernacular" at last fall's meeting of =20
the Coalition of Networked Information. He makes all kinds of =20
compelling points about the importance of video information. He =20
refers to a Lawrence Lessig presentation in which Lessig said that =20
"text is=85dead, that the written word has become =93the =91Latin=92 of =
our =20
modern times=94; that the ordinary language, the =93vulgar=94 or =
vernacular =20
language, the new language of the street is video and sound; and, =20
most important, that the tools of creativity...are in fact what =20
Lessig calls new and fundamentally
essential =93tools of speech.=94

You can get Peter's paper at : www.cni.org/tfms/2006b.fall/abstracts/=20=

handouts/CNI_Teaching_Kaufman.pdf

JudithThomas

> > At 02:43 PM 4/23/2007 -0700, Gary Handman wrote:
> >> Beg to differ (as someone who's been around since Edison cranked =20=

> his
> >> first
> >> kinetoscope): ALA's decision (or oversight) is based on the fact
> >> that, despite
> >> the cultural and cognitive revolutions brought on by moving image
> >> technology,
> >> ALA and libraries in general still "don't get it" The container of
> >> the medium--
> >> it's form and format--are completely beside the point. The real
> >> issue centers
> >> around much more fundamental biases and misconceptions and =20
> downright
> >> myopia
> >> about the moving images that prevade libraries and library
> >> organizations.
> >> Exclusion of "VIDEO" from ALA's report is no more pathetic than the
> >> shabby way
> >> in which moving images continue to be treated in most libraries =20
> (both
> >> academic
> >> and public).
> >>
> >> The fact is, we're living in a post-print society. Insitutions that
> >> don't catch
> >> on to the fact are doomed to be marginalized or shut down =20
> completely.
> >>
> >> Gary Handman
> >>

> >> Quoting Amanda Ros :

> our 8
> donating
> >> them
> >> DVD's or

> to the
> >> fact
> difficult to
> >> find
> >> carry

> >> how

Judith Thomas
Robertson Media Center
University of Virginia Library
Charlottesville, VA 22904
(434) 924-8814 | jthomas@virginia.edu

--Apple-Mail-48--575932755

Peter Kaufman from Columbia gave = an fascinating presentation on "Teaching in the new (video) vernacular" = at last fall's meeting of the Coalition of Networked Information.=A0 He = makes all kinds of compelling points about the importance of video = information. =A0 =A0He refers to a Lawrence Lessig presentation in which = Lessig said that=A0 =A0"text is=85dead, that the written word has become = =93the =91Latin=92 of our modern=A0times=94; that the ordinary language, = the =93vulgar=94 or vernacular language, the new language=A0of the = street is video and sound; and, most important, that the tools of = creativity...are in fact what Lessig calls new and fundamentally

essential =93tools of speech.=94

You can get Peter's paper at :=A0 = www.cni.org/tfms/2006b.fall/abstracts/handouts/CNI_Teaching_Kaufman.pdf=A0=

JudithThomas

> At 02:43 = PM 4/23/2007 -0700, Gary Handman wrote:
>> Beg to differ (as = someone who's been around since Edison cranked his
>> = first
>> kinetoscope): ALA's decision (or oversight) is based = on the fact
>> that, despite
>> the cultural and = cognitive revolutions brought on by moving image
>> = technology,
>> ALA and libraries in general still "don't get = it" The container of
>> the medium--
>> it's form and = format--are completely beside the point. The real
>> issue = centers
>> around much more fundamental biases and = misconceptions and downright
>> myopia
>> about the = moving images that prevade libraries and library
>> = organizations.
>> Exclusion of "VIDEO" from ALA's report is no = more pathetic than the
>> shabby way
>> in which = moving images continue to be treated in most libraries (both =
>> academic
>> and public).
>>
>> = The fact is, we're living in a post-print society. Insitutions that =
>> don't catch
>> on to the fact are doomed to be = marginalized or shut down completely.
>>
>> Gary = Handman
>>

>> Quoting Amanda Ros = :
>>
>> > Mike,
>> >
>> > = Videos continue to circulate at a fairly steady pace in 7 of our = 8
>> > branches. While we are not purchasing videos, patrons = are donating
>> them
>> > left and = right--presumably because they are replacing them with
>> = DVD's or
>> > their kids have outgrown the = cartoons.
>> >
>> > ALA's decision to exclude = VHS appears to me to be a response to the
>> fact
>> = > the VHS is a dying media. It is getting more and more difficult to =
>> find
>> > VHS supplies from our vendors. But, = given that libraries still
>> carry
>> > videos, I = think that they should consider addressing them.
>> = >
>> > I'm curious though. How many of your libraries = still have VHS
>> > collections? Are you (the powers that = be) considering dumping the
>> > collection? If your library = doesn't carry VHS but did at 1 time,
>> how
>> > = long ago did you get rid of your VHS collection?
>> = >
>> > Amanda Ros
>> > AV = Cataloger
>> > Jackson-George Regional Library
>> = > tsav@jgrls.org
>> = >
>> >
>> > -----Original = Message-----

http://www.ala.org/2007state
= >> >

>> > While = DVD circulation has been one of the fastest growing areas at =
>> my
>> > public
>> > library, the = report does not appear to mention video collections or
>> > = services.
>> >

>> = > Considering recent stats or trends at your library, do you think =
>> videos
>> > should be mentioned in the 2008 = report?
>> >

>> = > Mike in Dubuque

Judith Thomas

Robertson Media Center

University of Virginia Library

Charlottesville, VA 22904

(434) 924-8814 | jthomas@virginia.edu

=
= --Apple-Mail-48--575932755-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.