Re: [Videolib] how much do libraries promote

(mtwchk@udel.edu)
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:05:06 -0400 (EDT)

Good points, all. I think that programming is not only enjoyable, but a good way to demonstrate that your patron base has an interest in film as art (rather than 'just' as entertainment). Although I do it primarily as a volunteer and not necessarily part of my job duties, I help run an international film series here on campus and, despite the difficulty in steering a campus-wide initiative, it's pretty rewarding and I get lots of appreciative / good feedback. If you can find a way to get involved in something similar, I'd recommend it (and be sure to brush up on the concept of Public Performance Rights).

I think it's also important to remember that 'blockbuster' films have their place, too. Anything can be used to teach a number of different points -- I have an English instructor who uses A Knight's Tale w/ Heath Ledger every semester to study cultural analogues.

It's not necessarily what you're seeing, but how you('re taught to) see it.

Best,

Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Senior Assistant Librarian
Morris Library, University of Delaware