RE: [Videolib] Nothing about videos in ALA's State of Libraries

James Steffen (jsteffe@emory.edu)
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:53:18 -0400

Gary's comments are on the money. This is unfortunate, because in many
cases library collection policies simply don't reflect the reality of
what people are doing. Just try explaining at many academic libraries
that you need money to order all the seasons of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE
SLAYER on DVD, even though there is already a large body of scholarly
literature on the show! Scholars doing work in popular film and
television are all too often expected to rely on Blockbuster to get
their materials. This would be unthinkable for someone studying
literature. This bias is reflected not just in purchasing allocations,
but also in the funding of cataloging staff.

But I don't think ALA's omission in the report is just a library issue.
It also reflects long-standing cultural biases in society at large. You
could argue that moving images still don't have the same status as
print as a form of legitimate "speech."

James

--
James M. Steffen