RE: [Videolib] visual literacy (was Nothing about videos in ALA's State of Libraries report?)

Helene Lynch (hlynch@mcl.org)
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:13:09 -0400

Here's my two cents.

I've been purchasing DVDs and VHS for the headquarters branch of a county
system for the last 4 years. I stopped ordering VHS 3 years ago. I am
slowly ordering the classic and high use VHS titles on DVD when available.
I don't mind having a title in both formats. If a title requested is
checked out on DVD the patron will many times settle for the VHS copy. We
order the popular recent feature film titles as a system and each branch
orders their own foreign, non-fiction titles and excellent but not
blockbuster fiction titles. We have classic films, foreign films, art films
and hundreds of non-fiction titles. Circulation for DVDs is up every year as
much as 50%.

In the last two years I have added a display of non-fiction DVDs. I started
by displaying 12 titles I now display 24 titles and have to refill that
display at least twice a week and sometimes every other day! We've also
ordered new shelving for the DVDs because we have run out of shelving space.
(I'm still waiting for it to arrive. This is a municipality and the wheels
of progress here run mighty slowly.)

We also take suggestions and requests from our patrons for DVD titles. We
order most requests and suggestions.

Just as we computerized the library with online catalogs, databases and
computers with internet and Microsoft office for public use, libraries have
to keep up with the times and technology by offering all forms of print and
non-print sources for research, enrichment and enjoyment.

Helene Lynch
Reference Librarian
Mercer County Library System
Lawrence Headquarters Branch