RE: [Videolib] Nothing about videos in ALA's State of Libraries r

Pasteur, Eric (EricPasteur@ppl.peoria.lib.il.us)
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:36:55 -0500

Very well said, Gary.

I really think it really is a matter of ignorance and/or misunderstanding of
the medium that leads ALA and so many libraries to ignore the benefits
offered by the moving image. It is disheartening and intellectually
dishonest that a cultural and educational institution such as the library
has not embraced a format such as video (and, as previously mentioned in the
thread, when I say "video" I refer to all formats: VHS, DVD, etc.),
especially when there exists scientific evidence that for many people the
visual image is a more powerful and effective means of learning than the
alternatives (printed word, audio).

While I agree that the medium is not necessarily relevant as a determinant
of importance and subsequent budgetary consideration, there are certainly
benefits inherent in the moving image that makes the medium itself
important. Besides the medium's benefits, the simple fact that format is a
factor for libraries in determining what to purchase is a clear indication
that those charged with the task of leading libraries into the future "don't
get it." Isn't there a fundamental contradiction in the claim that
libraries are often leaders in implementing new technology when we can't
even get our leaders to recognize existing technologies that benefit
society?

--Eric
______________________________________
Eric Pasteur
Reference Services
Peoria Public Library
107 NE Monroe St
Peoria IL 61602
Tel 309.497.2145
Fax 309.674.0116
epasteur@ppl.peoria.lib.il.us
"Art is a lie that makes you realize the truth."
--Pablo Picasso