[Videolib] Videos vs DVDs

Marynelle Chew (chewm@byuh.edu)
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:23:29 -1000

We are a medium-smallish academic library.

We don't deliberately purchase a VHS unless that's the only format something
is offered in. Not all vendors have made the switch to DVD. Just as,
amazingly enough, some audiovisual materials are still offered as
audiocassettes only. I have no qualms about transferring an audiocassette to
CD, but I don't think VHS is "dead" enough for us to go around transferring
our VHS collection to DVD.

Currently our VHS:DVD ratio is 7:1.

I don't anticipate waving goodbye our VHS collection any time soon. We are,
however, systematically purchasing DVD versions for the most popular VHS
titles. Eventually the ones that are left will naturally self-select
themselves out either because they aren't playable or they haven't been
used.

And then, of course, the VOD storm cloud is on the horizon. I'd like to duck
and cover on that one.

Marynelle Chew
Head, Technical Services
Joseph F. Smith Library